Photo of the Poached Egg with Sea Urchin and Salmon Roe courtesy of Aburiya Raku.
Turns out Vegas has more to offer than roulette and Britney, bitch. Enter Aburiya Raku, WeHo’s izakaya hotspot that made its mark on Sin City and then set its sights on LA. Chef Mitsuo Endo’s sleek restaurant has taken over La Cienega as the go-to destination. Sit inside at the counter to order omakase or grab a table on the back patio. When the name means “enjoyment” you know the meal is going to be a win. Japanese grilled meats are the main attraction, but the menu boasts a solid lineup of date night worthy dishes. Not sure where to begin? Your five things to order at Aburiya Raku is up.
1. Agedashi Tofu: The in house tofu is where the kitchen flexes its skills. While there are several iterations, the agedashi is a classic. The silky tofu is lightly fried and served in a bonito broth. The combo of a crispy exterior and a silky center is a mouthful of satisfaction.
2. Poached Egg with Sea Urchin and Salmon Roe: Umami is the name of the game; a poached egg with uni and salmon roe is the trifecta of flavor. Break the yolk.
3. Juicy Deep Fried Asajime Chicken: The name says it all. Exactly what you want from fried chicken: a crispy outside and tender inside. The Japanese take frying to a whole new level, get on it.
4. Tsukune: Japanese chicken meatballs deliver. The grilled, ground asajime chicken is light, delicate and addictive, so order a few rounds. Bet you can’t eat just one.
5. Foie Gras Don: Everything you want in a bowl. Perfectly executed rice, a chiffonade of lettuce, a hint of fermented garlic, all topped with a generous piece of foie gras. Vegas decadence meets Japanese izakaya for the jackpot.
Bonus. Green Tea Creme Brûlée: Crack the caramelized top and dig into the smooth green tea custard. Complete with a scoop of pistachio ice cream.
Grab a seat today.