Located in the heart of Charleston’s Johns Island farming community, Fat Hen is owned and operated by the nationally acclaimed chef, Fred Neuville and his wife Joan. The husband-and-wife team prepares innovative French Lowcountry cuisine, using fresh ingredients from local purveyors to transport diners back to the farm. The result is a truly special, cozy, and delicious meal. This is a list of a handful of top dishes to order — and a slice of signature pie for good measure — with some special recommendations from the duo behind it all.
1. Cherry Tomato, Smoked Beets & Arugula Salad: When you’re dreaming of salad, you’re probably envisioning this one: smoked beets, arugula, dried apples, candied pecans, and cherry tomatoes, all tossed in a golden raisin vinaigrette. It’s a must.
2. Cured Meats: You know you’re going to be satisfied when they’re cured in-house. Add spiced walnuts and the appropriate condiments for good measure.
3. Steak Tartare: Raw beef with capers, fines herbs, shallot, Dijon mustard, a quail egg, and toast points: a recipe for success.
4. Steamed Mussels: Offered in five versions- including the Marniére, the Aioli, the Pistou, and the Curry Cream- the ideal event is the Provençal, served with apple wood smoked bacon, tomatoes, capers, spinach, fresh herbs, garlic and artichoke hearts.
5. Seared Duck Confit: The leg and thigh served with a demi-glace, brandied apricots, garlic, spinach, and lemon roasted sweet potatoes. Friends, it’s time for duck.