The American Express® Gold Card and Resy present The Dim Sum Experience, a multi-city celebration of dim sum at Resy restaurants throughout November
- Acclaimed Chinese American restaurants and their chefs will put personal spins on dim sum for the new event series in New York City, Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.
- Menus will take inspiration from the beloved dishes served at Nom Wah, the group behind the century-old dim sum parlor in Manhattan’s Chinatown
- American Express Gold Card Members will have first access to tickets starting October 3, 2022, plus exclusive perks at the events
New York (Monday, September 26) – Throughout November, the American Express Gold Card and reservations platform Resy will team up with acclaimed Chinese American restaurants and their chefs from across the country, along with Nom Wah, for a special series: The Dim Sum Experience.
The series aims to celebrate the diversity of the Chinese diaspora through the lens of dim sum in partnership with five acclaimed restaurants: Málà Project (NYC), PAGU (Boston), Chifa 國偉 (Los Angeles), Mister Jiu’s (San Francisco), and Tiger Fork (Washington, D.C.). Each restaurant will create a limited-edition menu reflecting their identity. They will also take inspiration from the most popular dishes from Nom Wah, whose operations include a century-old dim sum institution in Manhattan’s Chinatown.
“Amex Gold and Resy are teaming up for yet another unique, multi-city food event, this time celebrating dim sum from coast to coast” said Shibli Juneja, Vice President, US Consumer Premium Products at American Express. “On the heels of The Resy Drive Thru New York, which featured so many cuisines from all over the world in one night, we are excited to bring another rich food experience to our American Express Gold Card Members, and everyone who loves dim sum.”
American Express Gold Card Members will receive exclusive access to tickets starting October 3, 2022, 72 hours before they go on sale to the general public as well as perks on site including a complimentary cocktail*.
“Food can be like a history book, teaching us about cultures and connections between so many people,” says Jong Son, Chef at Tiger Fork. “I hope we can take guests on a culinary journey, touring them through some of our favorite Cantonese dishes, and expanding palates while bridging tradition with envelope-pushing modernity.”
“Dim sum to me is about shared experiences and storytelling. I want to create a fun dim sum menu that tells a bit of my story,” says Tracy Chang, Chef and Owner of PAGU. “It will celebrate my nostalgia for dim sum classics like pork, shrimp and napa wontons with PAGU chili crisp and incorporate my experiences cooking Spanish and Japanese cuisines like duck confit wu gok with sherry vinegar aioli.”
“Dim Sum can mean a million things. I’m from Beijing, the northern part of China, where Dim Sum means dumplings, congee, pickled veggies and chicken feet. Our menu will feature some of these classic, nostalgic dim sum plates that I grew up with,” says Amelie Kang, Chef and Owner of Málà Project.
The Dim Sum Experience series continues Resy’s work to spotlight Chinese cuisine and communities across America. In summer 2020, Resy launched Chinatown USA, a special editorial project of 30+ stories, guides, and essays featuring Chinese and Taiwanese American chefs and restaurants in response to the outsize impact the pandemic has had on Chinatowns across America. Chinatown USA has continued with new features added regularly, including a collection of stories on The Dim Sum Experience restaurants, read them here.
Following the events, a donation will be made to the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund, a national organization founded in 1974 that protects and promotes the civil rights of Asian Americans.
The Dim Sum Experience Event Lineup + Ticket Details
Tickets for Amex Gold Card and Resy present The Dim Sum Experience go on sale beginning Monday, October 3, 2022 at 10:00 a.m. ET for American Express® Gold Card Members who have linked their Cards to their Resy profile and purchase their ticket with an eligible Card. American Express Gold Card Members will have exclusive access to tickets and primetime reservation slots for 72 hours before the general public. Tickets go on sale to the general public on Thursday, October 6, 2022 at 10:00am ET. Tickets are $60 per person and can be purchased at resy.com/dim-sum and in the Resy app. Maximum of 6 tickets per purchase. Tickets include entry to the event and a set event menu. Each ticket holder will see the event in their Resy mobile app and will receive exclusive event-related content via text and email leading up to their entry. Terms Apply.
New York City – Málà Project, East Village: Saturday, November 5 and Sunday, November 6
- MáLà Project is a Michelin Bib Gourmand recognized Chinese restaurant from Owner Amelie Kang. Its mission is to bring unaltered, original Chinese dishes to New York in a 90s China inspired ambiance.
Boston – PAGU: Saturday, November 12 and Sunday, November 13
- PAGU brings together Taiwanese, Japanese and Spanish inspiration under the leadership of Chef and Owner Tracy Chang, whose grandmother emigrated from Taiwan to Boston, paving the way for this acclaimed Cambridge restaurant.
Los Angeles – Chifa 國偉 Saturday, November 12 and Sunday, November 13
- Chifa 國偉 started in Lima, Peru in 1975 when Wendy Leon – a Chinese woman who emigrated from Hong Kong – opened her first restaurant, bringing Cantonese cooking to a Peruvian audience. Four decades later, a new version of Chifa 國偉 opened in Eagle Rock, Los Angeles as a family collaboration reflecting the family’s collective Cantonese, Taiwanese and Peruvian heritage and recipes passed down over generations.
San Francisco – Mister Jiu’s: Saturday, November 19
- At Mister Jiu’s in San Francisco’s Chinatown, Chef and Owner Brandon Jew blends Cantonese and California cuisine. Established in 2017 in the space of Four Seas restaurant, a Chinatown banquet hall for over a century, Jew has worked to achieve national culinary recognition for Chinese cuisine.
Washington, D.C. – Tiger Fork: Saturday, November 19 and Sunday, November 20
- Tucked away in Shaw’s historic Blagden Alley, Tiger Fork offers modern takes on Hong Kong street food, traditional dim sum, and classic Chinese dishes with a global influence, led by Culinary Director Nathan Beauchamp and Executive Chef Jong Son.
* Must be 21 years of age or older to consume alcoholic beverages. Please drink responsibly.
# # # #
AMERICAN EXPRESS – Yasamin Haghshenas – email@example.com
RESY – Lauren Young – Lauren.Young1@resy.com
ABOUT AMERICAN EXPRESS
American Express is a globally integrated payments company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, instagram.com/americanexpress, linkedin.com/company/american-express, twitter.com/americanexpress, and youtube.com/americanexpress. Key links to products, services and corporate responsibility information: personal cards, business cards, travel services, gift cards, prepaid cards, merchant services, Accertify, Kabbage, Resy, corporate card, business travel, diversity and inclusion, corporate responsibility and Environmental, Social, and Governance reports.
Resy is a hospitality technology platform that powers restaurants around the world and a consumer-facing reservation platform for passionate diners. Since its inception in 2014, Resy has created best-in-class software that elevates dining experiences and connects restaurants to a growing network of highly-engaged diners, with the powerful backing of American Express. Resy is a go-to destination for restaurant discovery, exclusive access, original content, and chef-driven culinary events. The amazing world of restaurants is just a few taps away in the Resy app and at Resy.com.